Eavesdropping.

I'm working in the bedroom. Chris is getting ready to brush the kids' teeth.

(SOUND OF REESE RUNNING DOWN HALLWAY): Owww. Owweee!!!!!!

CHRIS: What's wrong?

(NO ANSWER)

CHRIS: OK, I'm looking for a girl who went to a birthday party today...

REESE: Me! Wait! I need to pee really bad...

CHRIS (SINGING WITH VIGOR, CLAPPING): Here we go lubby loo, here we go lubby loo all on a Saturday..

REESE: Finn turn that water off!

CHRIS (SINGING): ...all on a Saturday night!

MORE CLAPPING AND WATER RUNNING FOLLOWED BY HORRIBLE DROPPING SOUND.

REESE SCREAMING LIKE SHE'S LOST A LIMB.

REESE: FINNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!! You made me all wet because of you!!

CHRIS (CALMLY) Reese, you're not that wet.

REESE: Yes I am! Just because of you FINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

UNDER HER BREATH BUT NOT REALLY: Finn is so mean!

CHRIS: Finn, what do say to your sister?

FINN (REMORSEFULLY): Sorree. THEN SPRIGHTLY: It happens!

EXPLOSION OF LAUGHTER FROM ALL THREE OF THEM.

FINN (SENSING A WINNER): It happens! It happens. Sorry Reese it happens!! (NOW DELIVERS THE LINE IN LOW TONES, HIGH TONES AND SINGING TONES, LOOKING FOR THE BIGGEST LAUGH)

LAUGHTER.

REESE: Finn, you're hilarious.

I have to write this down so on the days Finn says to Reese, "no look at Finn" and Reese says "mom, finn says I can't look at him" and I want to poke my own eye out with a ball point pen from the frustration of it all, from raising two "spirited" children, I will read this and thank heaven for them and the chaos they have transformed my life into, for the laughter, for the love of it all.

Comments

Townsend 5 said…
Sounds to me like little Finn might have the sense of humor of his daddy.

Popular Posts